Saturday 16 June 2012

Time flies...



Time flies...
I made this picture last night. I had wanted to make it all week but work needed to take precedence.
The idea came from this picture I took earlier in the year.


To make the picture I chose a piece of handmade felt in  a blue green colour way.   I placed the piece of stockinette tube to be the stem for my dandelion clock. Next I used  the plaited cotton thread to represent the grass. I wanted to give the illusion that the back of the picture was in focus but the foreground is out of focus. I carded three shades of green merino tops to blend the colours then laid them at the base of the picture. I secured the wool by needle felting along the bottom and sides. I created the dark centre to the dandelion clock by needle felting a ball of brown merino tops. I hand stitched the clock with a single strand of white embroidery floss. I had originally planned to stitch the entire clock but decided to make it look as if some of the seed had flown.  I then embroidered the individual seeds in the corner, as you can see in the detail below.



Next I stitched the white and pearl seed beads to represent a cow parsley type of flower. I joined these using a tiny chain stitch.
                                                                                 
Finally I decided to add a snail to the foreground. I used a pretty green and white glass bead and added the snail's 'body' using three strands of pale grey embroidery floss.

                                                                               
Had I  taken longer with this piece, I feel that my execution would have been better. However, I am pleased that I was able to realise the idea in textiles and I have definitely honed my skills through making it.

5 comments:

  1. Its gorgeous Ali, are you going to frame it and put it on display somewhere, I love the shades and the delicacy of the dandelion seeds ( or fairies as I used to call them when a little girl), floating on the breeze.
    I don't have such talent and admire your skill!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! I have something going round in my head too but need to set aside a good bit of time to do it - I hope it's half as lovely as your picture. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely in love with your style!!!! So beautiful. Would you ever consider selling anything? Just curious... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all x Ali, I have mounted it on a card. Jan, take time this summer.
    Theresa, I would consider selling or I would be prepared to undertake a commission using a supplied photograph should it be desired. Email me and I will send a photo of another piece I have not yet published.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty! :) agree with theresas question about selling x

    ReplyDelete