Tuesday 22 November 2011

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups #20






The 100 word challenge for grown ups contains this prompt this week:   …the powers that be /the apple of his eye /the writing on wall… We may choose one of these. I've chosen to use all three!

Mea Culpa

She stood beside the old weathered door. So, she thought, the powers that be have spoken. She knew each of them was the apple of his eye; the benevolence included them all, whoever they were. She did not care that the writing on the wall, she would do it her way. How dare they restrict her! She opened the creaking door and busied herself in the musty, dusty gloom. She continued confidently, hands familiar with tasks repeated over the years. She whispered her litany “Cow parsley is made by Him, so Cow Parsley I will keep in my flower arrangements”

11 comments:

  1. Good old cow parsley! And why not indeed. I can just imagine the powers that be, sneering over their (horn rimmed) half moon spectacles. Good for her for doing what she wamted. Girl power all the way (at any age!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....you know what they say about weeds 'just a flower in the wrong place'. So glad she rebelled. I love a rebel. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How dare they restrict her indeed. Go that girl! Love your strong female characters Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with others; a great strong character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the line, 'she would do it her way'. The type of person I admire :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done. Leaves this reader wanting to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strong sense of this person and their quiet rebellion. Such a strong piece in 100 words. Remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't you a smarty pants for using all three so seamlessly?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, what a great character.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant A! I'm so impressed that so many of you have included all three. I was wondering all through this piece what was going to be the twist at the end but I did not have cow parsley on my list of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking you could use this post for this week/week 21 too?! Double value! GSussex

    ReplyDelete