Tuesday 18 October 2011

50 Word Challenge for Grown Ups


 This week's challenge is for 50 words added to ... the autumn leaves... I decided to go with verse, not a genre with which I feel particularly comfortable. Here is my effort anyway.




Through my eyes.

The autumn leaves swirl, gyrate
as if in a death dance.                                                              
Slowly a pearly white presence
 eases through the collected remains
of countless year's dancers.       

As diamonds, strung on gossamer thread
 the tiny beads of icy dew,
await the tentative warming
of the rising sun.

In all this glorious beauty,
I walk on,
entranced.               




                          




15 comments:

  1. whoa! I can feel myself overpowered! I think 'dance of death' rather than 'death dance' IMO but wow! This is extremely good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should have the confidence to try poetry more often. I think you are better at it than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ventahl, you are right, that would work better.
    @Lynda, thank you, maybe I'll try more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're definititely better at it than you think. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a very big loud capital "W" !!!!!

    That is so beautiful Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it, entranced. Well done! laurie @ Battling My Inner Critic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent word picture. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice use of the prompt and if writing prose isn't something you do regularly, you should! :) Great job!

    Janece

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not your genre? It's wonderful! Really draws the reader in and it's beautifully written, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness me, I have read this several times now, I LOVE it . The lines "As diamonds, strung on gossamer thread
    the tiny beads of icy dew" are my favourite, but the whole poem scans beautifully.
    This really is a breath-taking piece Alison :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for the comments, I am thrilled you like it. I shall have more confidence to try other genre now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The imagery is beautiful, evocative, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh stunning A! I love the gossamer. Really really strong images taking us right there with you. I do LOVE autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that was lovely. Almost makes like autumn more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the comments - it is good to share. I always enjoy all the other contributions.

    ReplyDelete