Monday 3 October 2011

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups

The prompt this week is ...the unseasonal weather...


Near the Arctic Circle...

She crept silently around the building, trapped by the unseasonal weather. Hunger burned deep in her belly, and tantalising odours drew her closer to danger. Her normal behaviour was transformed by desperation. She was taking greater and greater risks to try to assuage the dreadful gnawing pain, still she remained trapped.
Her massive head lifted, the air heralded a change. She turned and sniffed again.
All day and all night she travelled, impervious to distraction. Breasting the ridge, she saw she had reached her goal.
There before her, stretched miles of sea ice and the chance of food at last.




10 comments:

  1. Oh, that is lovely! I loved the way I wondered all the way through what 'she' was. Beautifully written. See? I told you so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - the idea suddenly came as I pondered who or what was affected by unseasonable weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece- I'm so pleased it was a polar bear. She was one of the lucky ones. Great entry again .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I felt so sorry for her, trapped by her hunger. I'm so pleased it worked out for her in the end. Sally-Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered right to the end who "she" was. Lovely post. Amazed by how much can be said in just 100 words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I loved the revelation at the end where we found out who she was. Really effective - I was right with her there as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh brilliant! You captured that desperation that animals must feel all too often when they are searching. I love the conclusion with the 'answer' of the photo!Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "transformed by desperation" lovely, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how I became 'her' without knowing exactly who 'she' was ... the text drew me in from the first line. Wonderful writing made all the more poignant by the fact you never 'mentioned' who/what she was .. as Julia said, it was 'revealed' at the end without words. Clever and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea that the polar bear is a girl - Polars are such dangerous creatures and kinda scary but at the same they are mothers and take care of their young too.

    Good effort :)

    ReplyDelete