Tuesday 6 September 2011

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups

This challenge is now in it's ninth week. The starter we were given was "Mary thought". The challenge is to add 100 words to the starter. The genre I have chosen reflects books I have been reading lately. I hope you enjoy it.


An incident.

The incident room hummed with expectation.  As Detective Superintendent Taylor entered, the room hushed as if a wind had blown out the chatter. In silence Taylor placed several photos on the large board. They were shocking, Mary thought she had never seen such violence personified. She shuddered quickly and violently. The victim lay as if shattered, the pieces resting against a wall. It was clear that even the most concerted efforts could not have saved him. How could this have happened?  It seemed inconceivable that this could have been an accident. Taylor addressed the room. 
”This is H. Dumpty” he said.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic! You had me holding my breath throughout this, and then I let it out in a big belly laugh at the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous. I wasn't expecting that at all. This is a very clever piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant twist at the end there! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone - first time I've done fiction since school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this has to be the best this week, very funny.. Loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'the room hushed as if a wind had blown out the chatter' Good line. Really sets the scene for whats to come. Great build up to a cracking finale. From horror to humour in four words. A+

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thank you for the positive comments xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how brilliant! This had me all the way then I burst out laughing with the fabulous twist at the end. This was an excellent piece as you described the scene in the incident room so accurately - just like it is on the telly! Fabulous! I do hope you will join in again because you have a great talent there that should be shared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much. I shall definitely have another go. My extended time off work has given me an opportunity to develop interests that I have not tried before. Blogging has built my confidence and I really enjoyed this, my first attempt at the 100 Word Challenge for Grown ups.

    ReplyDelete